Five Reasons We Love Serving Our Members
February may be the shortest month, but it’s packed with special observances like Presidents’ Day, Black History Month, and Valentine’s Day, in addition to a host of unofficial “national” days you’ve probably never heard of like “National Tater Tot Day.” But they all have something in common. They were created to draw attention to a particular issue or theme.
Valentine’s Day may seem like an observance originally created by a greeting card company, but over time, it’s become a widely celebrated day generating millions of dollars spent on flowers, candy and of course, greeting cards professing our love. But Valentine’s Day isn’t just for the lovebirds. It’s also the perfect time to let our friends, family, co-workers and other special people in our lives know we care about them––with or without a store-bought greeting card.
So, in that vein, we’ve created our list of top five reasons why we love serving you, the members of Rio Grande Electric Co-op.
1. We love serving our members because without you, the co-op wouldn’t exist. Our purpose is to provide you with reliable, responsible and safe electricity. Simply put, RGEC exists to serve you. That’s why we were formed in 1945––to bring power to our local areas, when for-profit utilities would not.
2. You enable us to complete our mission by supporting our efforts to give back. A major part of our mission is to serve our community and look after the greater good. With your assistance, we’re able to help the most vulnerable members of our community through food and toy drives and programs like the Sharing Success Grants Program, which benefits non-profit organizations in our communities.
3. Members of our co-op also serve on the board of directors. They provide guidance for setting co-op priorities and helping make big decisions. Because our board members live in the areas we serve, they’re able to serve as the pulse of the larger community and identify immediate and long-term needs. The broader co-op membership provides helpful input through their vote on director elections and by weighing in on co-op and community issues.
4. You help us get it right. Rio Grande members are great about keeping us in the know. We do our best to avoid power outages, but Mother Nature can occasionally throw us a curveball; our members are quick to report any power disruptions and are patient as our crews work to safely restore power. We know outages are frustrating, and your support as we work through storms means so much to our employees. We also appreciate your feedback on co-op programs and services through the Member Advisory Committee, and on member surveys. Your opinions are critical for the co-op’s success, and we thank you for that.
5. You and other Co-op members make up the communities we serve ––and for us, it’s all about community. Our employees live and work in Co-op Country, too, and care about our communities the same way you do. We’re invested and work to help them thrive. That’s why Rio Grande donates to local charities, schools, and provides scholarship funds. It’s also why we invest in economic development, and why you’ll see our employees volunteering at local schools, youth sports leagues, 4-H, and other charitable and community endeavors.
As a co-op, our mission is to enhance the quality of life in our communities and look after their long-term interests. We love serving our members and our local communities, and just like you, want to see them continue to thrive.