Job TypeFull-Time, Exempt
Develop, plan, organize, implement, direct and evaluate the accounting and financial functions and performance in accordance with Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP), and financial management techniques and practices appropriate to the industry. Ensure complete and accurate financial ledgers and other records, with appropriate internal controls in place, so as to safeguard the Cooperative’s assets, securities, and funds. Provide the Chief Executive Officer (CEO) with complete and accurate financial reports, operating costs, and statistics that will allow to properly predict trends, determine planning needs, interpret results, and make effective decisions.
- General office and sedentary.
- Some work may require outside environment with varying weather for special project visits, etc.
- Subject to irregular hours to include weekends and holidays.
- Subject to travel, including multiple over-night stays.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Formulate the annual corporate operating budget by consolidating all departmental operating and capital budgets. Maintain budget, monitor for discrepancies and provide feedback on results.
- Conduct studies and research, develop plans and reports to the CEO in areas such as load forecast, future power requirements, and financial forecasts consistent with the Cooperative’s strategic goals.
- Support Executive Staff, Board of Directors and standing Audit and Finance Committees by providing timely and accurate analysis of budgets, financial reports and financial trends.
- Develop cash requirements and debt portfolio strategy consistent with the risk tolerance set by the Board of Directors, ensuring adequate short-term cash and maximize investment of available excess cash.
- Develop, implement, and oversee programs and policies that comply in accordance with GAAP, Rural Utilities Service (RUS) Uniform System of Accounts and auditing guidelines.
- Support the Cooperative’s audit firm, as required by auditor’s engagement letter.
- Maintain loan fund records and prepare loan fund requisitions.
- Manage all functions of the Accounting and Finance department.
- Act as an internal auditor, periodically audit the operations, systems and procedures to assure compliance with the established policies and practices and make necessary recommendations for improvements and/or required changes.
- Prepare various financial reports including billing statistical reports, operating statements, monthly budget analysis, cash flows/utilization reports, competitive sales reports, and reports for bankers and financial regulators as required.
- Establish methods of control to assure that quantity and quality of work performed by assigned personnel is maintained at proper levels and recommend staffing levels.
- Ability to evaluate and recommend power supply options consistent with the Cooperative’s mission.
- Manage material alliance and ensure cost effective purchasing agreements.
- Requires direct knowledge, from a senior management perspective, of all aspects of the member relations, member services, and operations of an electric utility
- Responsible for managing miscellaneous projects and other duties as assigned.
- Learn and comply with Cooperative’s safety rules and procedures.
- Maintain confidential information.
Job Related Qualifications
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting or Finance. Master’s degree in Finance, Accounting or Business Administration with a CPA or CMA are highly desirable.
- 15 years of progressively responsible financial management experience with an electric utility, electric cooperative preferred.
- Extensive experience in a leadership, managerial position with responsibility for directing the work of others is preferred.
- Thorough knowledge and experience in the operation of an accounting system per RUS’s Uniform System of Accounts required.
- General knowledge of overall operations of an electric utility is preferred.
- Must be proficient in the areas of expense analysis, accounts payable, payroll, property records and long-term debt acquisition.
- Must be accurate in detailed analysis and computational tasks.
- Possess a valid Texas drivers’ license.
- Insurable with the Cooperative's auto insurance carrier.
- Possess excellent oral and written communication skills in the English language.
- Possess excellent interpersonal skills including the ability to maintain a harmonious working relationship with all Cooperative employees.
- Must be proficient in MS Office and become familiar with accounting software.
- Must be or become certified in first aid and cardiopulmonary resuscitation.
- Required to pass a physical examination when employed
- Must have sufficient health to perform the essential functions, duties and responsibilities of the job
- Sitting/standing/walking/driving for extended periods of time
|Approved by:||Roger Andrade, Chief Executive Officer|
|Date approved:||December 23, 2021|
|Reviewed:||December 23, 2021|
Is there anything that would keep you from meeting the job requirements as outlined above?
Yes or No
RGEC pays very competitive salaries, and provides a benefits package, including:
- Medical, Dental, Rx, and Vision
- Retirement Security Plan (The Cooperative pays 100% of this for you.)
- Long Term Disability Insurance